Yesterday was officially the first day of summer, with temperatures in the 90’s ! We have a lot of hot days ahead of us, my friends, so here are some tips on how to stay cool in the summer months ahead.
- Logically, the #1 rule is to stay hydrated! Staying well hydrated is essential with helping the body regulate its temperature. If water isn’t available, try snacking on fleshy fruits and veggies. Watermelon is a great choice!
- Try turning your vehicle on 5-10 minutes before you plan on running errands, giving the car’s air conditioning time to do its job. This is especially important if you have little ones or pets going along for the ride. Also, roll down the windows if you can for the first few minutes to let the hot air escape, and then roll them back up so the cool air can stay inside.
- A simple misting bottle can be your best friend! When you start to feel the heat on a walk or during an outdoor task, give yourself a spritz. As the water evaporates, it helps you to cool down.
- When choosing clothing, think: cotton, light colors, loose, and comfortable. Less is not necessarily more when dressing in the summer! Lightweight materials that cover more of your skin can actually help protect you from the sun’s rays and keep you cooler.
- Hats with wide brims provide instant relief from the sun, but remember that 80% of our body heat escapes from our heads. Keeping this in mind, think of a visor when exercising outdoors.
- Modify your gardening habits so that you can utilize the shade and aren’t in direct sunlight. You can strategically avoid the direct sun by picking the right time of day……like working on the West side while the sun is rising on the East in the early morning.
- Finally, enjoy the gulf waters, pools, and sprinklers often and without hesitation!
Our Sweet Home Sarasota is certainly paradise, but sometimes paradise can be dreadfully hot! Hopefully these tips will help you stay a little cooler in the months ahead, Have a great summer in the sun everyone!